Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How much is enough?

My Lynskey racked up with big gears.

The past two weeks I've been contemplating nearly every aspect of my upcoming bike trip from San Francisco to the Grand Canyon. What will the steep chilly mountains and the hot flat desert dish out and what sort of gear will assist in my comfort? How many lenses is enough, would an extra camera body come in handy, two pairs of long pants or one?

After a string of sleepless nights pondering details and a couple spending sprees on Amazon and Sierra Trading Post I'm geared up and ready for whatever these 1000 miles dish out. Protective computer case, extra batteries, a couple new pairs of bike shorts and an 11-28 11-32 cog set (was the 11-28 enough?).

Now that I'm in the packing phase of the trip and I can see all my outdoor gear in one place I notice a couple of very important things I failed to see. First of all, I have too much gear. Secondly I failed to notice a long list of necessities to complete this trip that I already had, like a cool job, great wife, a supportive family and a large pile of great friends. It's too bad the important stuff wont fit in my bags.

Now I know I've always had enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment