Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Panda Hats & The TSA

Tahoe


The night before my big trip, Delta Airlines called me during dinner to let me know they had canceled my flight because they may need the plane for something else. I'm still not sure what that something else could be, maybe someone's kid was contemplating bringing it in for show and tell. A few phone calls later I was told to report to the airport at 8:45 and tell them my name and everything would be taken care of. Seriously!? When I arrived at the empty counter the lady asked if I wanted a window seat and sent me on my way, at that point I was positive I was getting a late April Fools surprise party. Instead, I got seat 1A which 'm pretty sure is typically reserved for rocks stars. Things were looking good, so why were 3 stern TSA folks walking toward me? After a full body pat-down with horrified passengers looking on I was free to go. Later my luggage had a note in it saying it also had been searched (nice gesture don't you think). I guess a oneway ticket and a beard raises a few flags these days.


Step two of my flight was also a bit interesting. I had no ticket, gate number or flight number in Atlanta so I tracked down the only flight to San Fran. The gate was easy to find, it was the stall surrounded by an angry mob who hated all things Delta. Once I shoved my way through I told the worn out guy at the counter that I was Cliff and I wanted to get on the plane, he said, "sure I remember your name" and handed me my ticket. Fortunately passengers are not allowed to carry pitchforks through security or I would not be here today. I later learned that the mob had good reason to dislike Delta and me, the plane had been boarded then de-boarded and in the process the lucky got different seats and the unlucky were booted off the flight to wait four hours for the one. Things were once again looking good, this time it got better. Once on board, the folks next to me were shuffled over and I got a hold of a window seat and new seat neighbors who turned out to be friends of the family who's generosity and conversation made the five hour flight feel like two.

Arastradero Preserve

Thanks to my long time friend Colleen, I was running on sweet California singletrack within an hour of getting off the plane on trails packed with great views, blooming flowers and piles of wildlife. The hills were brutal compared to what I’m used to but the 60 degree bug free weather distracted me from noticing. It was on that run it became clear why people pay so much to live out here.

Downtown SF

My long easy travel day was capped off at a San Francisco Giants game with hot dogs, beer and people watching, chilled to bone by a typical frigid summer night. By the end of the game I was cold enough to contemplate stealing one of the thousands of giant fuzzy panda beanies I was ridiculing people for wearing; instant karma I suppose.


1 comment:

  1. Those TSA folk don't like last minute, one way, flight changes, especially with Taliban look alikes such as yourself.

    I'm afraid I'm losing faith in all things Delta. Aside from somehow finding very calm people to work the gate counters, they don't seem to be able to get their shiite in order.

    ReplyDelete