Sunday, June 5, 2011

Words

Tent Blogging

I haven't spent any time describing my trip so far because it's much easier to post photos than write but the weather has forced this opportunity. The rain has me cooped up in my tent 10 miles east of Ojai, California while the rest of the staff and riders socialize under trees, tents and awnings. So far it's been quite cold but no so bad that it makes things uncomfortable, unless an exceptionally long decent is tossed into the ride.

Since meeting up with everyone in San Francisco things have got better and better. California is so beautiful and the people I have met are very friendly, people here don't even throw their trash in the street (this sure ain't the south). The roads north of Santa Barbara are truly cycling nirvana, no glass, courteous drivers and more bike lanes and bike paths than I ever thought existed. Now that I'm a week into the tour I've settled into a rhythm of riding, flagging the route, setting up camp, sleeping, breaking down camp then riding again. Some days seem long and others pretty short. I've stayed in some great campsites and tonight is no exception. One night the campground had heated bathrooms and a few community fires going, each filled with happy families with lots of questions about our trip.
Wonderful family who fed me and provided endless conversation.

Eucalyptus trees have lined our route bathing us with their sweet smell and beautiful looks. Most riding days have moderate milage, typically under 80 miles of rolling terrain, others have a few long climbs. Aside from the day I got rained on for hours through Big Sur, the toughest day was our reroute to bypass a massive landslide on US1. We had to pass over the mountains into the valley and head south then pass back over them to get back to the coast adding an extra 30 miles to the day. Unfortunately I missed a turn and ended up with 115 miles and 5000 feet of climbing.
Chef Jon

In the food department, things could not get much better Chef Jon, loads us up with outstanding meals at camp that rival most restaurants. I can actually hear sizzling from the kitchen now and my stomach is growling. I will be kept in suspense because my requests for tonight's menu have been responded to with snarky remarks that I certainly deserve.

Tomorrow will be my first day off the coast heading east toward Joshua Tree trading the cold weather for hot. I can't wait to finally see J Tree, I've wanted to go there my whole life and there's not a better way to visit than on a bike.
Santa Barbara freak show hippy van.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Love the random family:) nice to see your face. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. About how many hours on the bike each day?

    ReplyDelete